Wednesday, July 5, 2017

07/06/2017z
Tonight the SW+ traveled to the state of New York with my outdoor home made dipole.  I got in the log of K2A the NY station for the 13 colonies event.  This is a popular event every year.  If you can log all 13 colonies you can apply for a special certificate.  It is very possible to do this from Indiana with some dedication and a modest station.  However, using the SW+ would be a big challenge.  I logged NH, GA, VA, and PA with my Elecraft K2.  NH was on 20 meters and the rest have been on 40.  I was running 5 watts also for NH but then less than 2 watts on the rest.  It was really a nice surprise to get in each log with the amount of activity the stations were getting.  The K2 can filter and has a dynamic range to hear the calling station amazingly better than the SW+.  I think now that Independence Day July 4th has passed and the weekend is over there is less interest in chasing these stations.  There was only a few stations calling for NY tonight.  I must say, however, that there is something very satisfying using the SW+ to get a special event station.  

In 1624 the Dutch settled along the Hudson River.  In 1664 the English took it and renamed it New York.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ivin and Brian! Made my own WAS challenge with my YouKits HB1B and battery setup into a resonant 40M longwire which gives me decent 40 and 20M coverage so far have 12 states in the bag! Was all set for a full day of QRP adventure this past Friday and lo and behold mother nature had other ideas as thunderstorms quickly took me off the air. Hopefully back at it in the next couple of day gotta love summer conditions! Temps are great but weather very unpredictable. 73 all....Brian W9BGJ

    ReplyDelete