Tuesday, February 28, 2017

I have gotten a couple QSL cards in the mail.  Both QSO's were before the WAS challenge I began with KB9BVN so I am not counting them for this WAS event, however they are noteworthy and a great example of part of the hobby that is very special.

It is amazing what comes in the mail when your active with HF.  I say you never know who you might meet or what might happen.  WA9PWP was calling CQ and I answered.  Neither of us knowing the other was using the exact same radio.  These kits are not available any longer and though they are out there I can't remember the last time I had heard one on the air.  This very well could be the last time I will ever have a random two way QSO with another SW+ 40 so it is worth mentioning.

Tonight I barely squeaked in a QSO.  The bands are not very good again and I was barely heard at 0046z. It is N3PBF, Frank in PA.  Frank sent me a 339 RST so I knew it would be a difficult exchange.  I sent 559, QTH, Name.  He replied he didn't get the name.  Then he sent no copy.   I already have PA in the log so the state count holds but at least I got to continue the QSO a day streak into March!  We are supposed to have severe thunder storms coming so I have now unhooked the antennas for the night to protect the SW+ 40.  Maybe in the morning I will catch someone else and add to the state count.

Operating the SW+40 pretty much exclusively has been a great reminder of how much I enjoyed building this radio.  Though it is not a high performance rig it works pretty well and I appreciate every QSO.  My temptation is to want to add something more to this since it is so much fun.  This is where I always go astray.  I tend to want to spend money to invest something more into the joy of this activity.  There isn't anything that would make things better.  I hope I will just have fun with this and the money I want to invest is better spent on stamps, envelopes, and maybe more QSL cards.


1 comment:

  1. WA9PWP is a longtime CW operator, and a very good one at that. Very nice QSl card and a CERTIFICATE!! Wall Paper is always good Ivin! The W5SOC card is cool because that is from the 2nd Class Operators CW club...their early motto was "UR 599...AGN? AGN?" and I am SOC #400 in the world of 2nd Class Operators. Tonight was ruff sledding...glad we both got a contact to keep the string alive. dit dit

    ReplyDelete