Wednesday, April 12, 2017

04/13/2017z
I made another QSO today.  This time to Maplewood, MN.  Bruce/N0CV.  Maplewood is near St. Paul.  It is the home to the corporate headquarter and main campus of 3M Corporation.  
On a personal note, I got a new endpin and tail cord for my cello and had time to adjust things and enjoy the change it made to my instrument.  The new endpin is a Bowed Acoustics brand.  The tail cord is a New Harmony brand.  Now, if you think telegraph keys are a small niche market, try cello endpin manufacturers.  My last endpin was made from carbon fiber.  The steel endpin I now have of course has less flex and feels more connection from the floor to the instrument in my opinion.  The new tailcord allowed the tailpiece to be closer to normal distance to the bridge.  This allows less tension on the strings and changed some things like where the wolf tone is found. 

What does this all have to do with ham radio?  Well...  resonance and harmonics.  That is what.   It is very interesting how we take advantage of harmonics when playing the cello and it is very interesting how harmonics and resonance plays a part in successful antenna designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment