Thursday, March 9, 2017

03/10/2017z
I wonder what the big pile up was tonight around 7.031?   I think it was 9G5X.  WOW!  It just sounds like a flock of birds all calling at the same time.  When this bird is using a radio that puts out 1.5 watts and has no RIT or split function the odds of catching a DX station with that kind of attention is like winning the lottery.  The only good thing about a pile up using up that much bandwidth is that while everyone is focusing on beating each other for a chance to work that rare station it is easier to use the rest of the band.  I dropped below that pile up and heard NC1M calling CQ crystal clear.  Hugh is from Westford, MA.  I don't need MA but what I did need was a nice rag chew and that is exactly what I got.  Hugh told me he was running 1KW.  I wondered how telling someone I was running power at the other end of the spectrum would be received.  Hugh figured he was about 30db more power than me.  However, it didn't matter.  We talked about music and the weather.  His whole family are involved with music and I encouraged him to learn an instrument.  I picked the violin for him to learn.  Who knows.  Maybe he will try it.  He said I was getting stronger at an S8 before it was over.  It was nice to just sit and talk.  That was the one and only QSO for today.  I practiced the cello afterwards and watched TV.  I have a cello lesson tomorrow night.  I won't be home in time for another QSO.

1 comment:

  1. Ivin...so many times it's about the quality of the QSO and not the quantity. It's great to have a meaningful ragchew with another CW operator half way across the country. Have you mastered any of the Led Zeppelin or AC/DC cello pieces?

    ReplyDelete