Saturday, March 18, 2017

03/18/2017z
Remember yesterday I wrote I am enjoying seeing what I can copy on HF?   I am interested in listening to weak stations I think I can complete a QSO with.  I was just listening to a podcast called "Meet The Composer".  It was talking about electronic sounds and really actively  listening.  They dedicated the episode called "The Performer Part 2" to the composer Pauline Oliveros.  She was a super listener.  It was inspiring to hear this podcast not only for appreciating music sounds but all sounds and how interesting sounds all around us are.  The HF bands can be super interesting to listen to.  Not just the voices or tones that are man made, but also the atmosphere sounds that are in the background.  One thing about not having AGC (Automatic Gain Control) is that the receiver does not diminish it's sound level or desensitize the receiver to compensate for a sudden loud burst of sound.  That sound could be another very close station or static crash from a local thunderstorm.  When I have my headphones on and the        
again turned up to listen very intensely to a station I know there is that chance a strong station or static crash could really pound through the receiver and it literally hurts my ears.  It is stunning and makes me angry at first.  However, when a stronger station starts to crowd us but I can still hang onto what I am listening to it is pure joy.

Today's QSO's are K5BAK/Doug in Starkville, MS.  W2XB/Don in Buffalo, NY.  K3AFS/Bill in Latrobe, PA.  All seem to have been good but the QSB is making it difficult to talk for any length of time.  I solid copy through the weak part of their signal but they are loosing some of what I am saying.  Hopefully the bands will improve more and I can have a nice ragchew.


The mail came! What a great Card from Joe in MD.
I mentioned Joe sent me a email during the NAQCC and that we had talked earlier by chance both using our SW40+ radios.  I must say I love the vintage look of this card!  Thanks Joe!  I'm looking forward to more QSO's with you using our radios.

No comments:

Post a Comment