Tuesday, March 21, 2017

03/22/2017z
Today the OHR400 arrived!  It has been quite a trip for the little radio.  It got delayed in the east coast snow storm.  It went through NJ, OH, and to me at work.                                    

 It looks like I remembered and maybe a little better.  I got it home after playing cello duets with my friend Lynn.  I really didn't have much time to mess with it.  I forgot the manual at work but it seems to be a mono headphone plug.  Everything seems to work fine.  I put my MFJ manual tuner with it and see it puts out plenty of power.  It sounds very quiet.  A nice receiver.  I couldn't tell much difference flipping in and out the filter but I will have a good time playing with things more when I have time.  I will hook it up to a program called spectrogram and see on the computer what the filters are doing.  It has plenty of audio and it will take some getting used to.  I have been using my SW40+ exclusively daily for quite awhile.  It is funny how I get used to the sound of a radio.  The receiver and side tone.  They are all different.  It is what makes getting a new radio so much fun.
I plugged back in my SW40+ and heard W1ZT on 7.040 calling "fox"!  Oh boy.... the QRP fox hunt!  Get gave me a 559 / MA/ Geo/ 5 watts.  I replied with an honest 599 / IN/ Ivin/ 1.5 watts.  The fox hunts seem to be very exciting this year.  I should follow it more closely.  It is a lot of fun.  They alternate 40 and 80 meters.  I didn't need MA but it's another daily QSO with the SWL radio.  I am undecided how to proceed with daily QSO's and the WAS contest with KB9BVN.  The OHR is interesting but I sure have gotten used to my SW40+.

No comments:

Post a Comment